Cupid Square Kat progress report #2

Let’s get moving on this little guy, how about.

Started painting the background, and I still wasn’t completely sure what colors I wanted to use. I didn’t want to go with the standard red and white Valentine’s day thing, but I knew the heart would have to be red, so whatever colors I decided to use would have to work with the red without overwhelming it.

Went with a bluish purply. I knew the wings needed to be an off-white color, so I went ahead and painted them in, too.

The next part wasn’t so easy, and I hope I didn’t totally blow it. For the cat, I decided to go with a pinkish color even though I understand (seriously, I do) that cats pretty much don’t come in that color unless you’ve got some serious issues going on there. The problem was, he was starting to look like an internal organ.

I thought about it a while and decided it might still be O.K. if I toned the pink down a little. Maybe desaturate it. So that’s what I did.

Then I added some more shading and highlights and started messing with his eyes.

And then a little more eye messing. I think I’m satisfied so far, but there’s still a lot of details to go.

I’ll post some more progress photos later this week. (You can click the images to see them bigger.)